So the past couple months have been ridiculously busy, but pretty goddamn awesome.
- April. Oh, April. This was the month I registered for a race every weekend and didn’t regret a single one of them. Two 200-mile relays [one Gonzales – Houston, one Fredericksburg – Austin], a 10k, a 5k, and the Austin Spartan Race.
Go big or go home, right? My bank account may be begging for mercy but wow, this was a GREAT month. I didn’t PR the 10k or 5k, but the relays were spectacular and I averaged miles 2+ minutes faster than previous relays. This was surprising, especially during the first on Blood, Sweat & Beers where we were sponsored by a local brewery [Independence] and had a seemingly endless supply of cold delicious beer + Fireball. I was the last runner in our van and they sent me off on my leg with a shot of Fireball and welcomed me back with a beer in a koozie. I couldn’t have asked for a better team. I’ll be back in 2017 for sure.
- Running. A spinoff from #1, I’m still on the running high I’ve been raving about all year. I recently took on a running coach and she is wonderful. Needing someone to keep me accountable with my busy schedule and work hours that just won’t quit, I’ve logged every workout assigned to me. Granted, we’re just running easy for right now and the end goal is a massive marathon PR, but I’m terrible at logging miles during the week and this forces me to get my shit together. It’s truly a #noexcuses situation now.
- College. I mentioned this vaguely in my last post. I’ve been kicking myself for almost seven years for not finishing my degree. I’m currently taking two classes this summer and will take another in the fall, graduating in December. This may seem boring or “really? just now?” to most, but I am EXCITED. It’s time to put this behind me and move forward with that expensive piece of paper in my possession.
- Social life. It’s no secret I became quite a recluse over the past year and a half. I don’t like to talk about my feelings and would rather watch hours of Netflix in solitude with a bottle of red wine and half the Chinese food menu. But over the past few months I’ve been going out, spending time with friends, and really enjoying life in general.
It’s been a long time since I’ve been this happy and I really like it. Don’t get me wrong; I’m counting down the hours until this weekend when I can become one with my couch and the newest season of Bloodlines. What? Old habits die hard.
- Moving on. Woof. If there’s one thing I don’t want to talk about, it’s this. I wish I could say”I’m so over everything, it’s been a long time and it’s all behind me” but I’d be lying to you. And to myself. And yeah it’s still fucking hard. But the happy times outweigh the sad, and maybe I’ve been contemplating dating. Maybe I’ve been severing ties with things which brought up too many bad memories. Unfortunately, that 10 year-old past doesn’t seem to want to GTFO out of my brain. But I’m trying. And it’s getting easier. Thank fucking god.
Everything is going to be just fine.